Saturday, July 26, 2014

Rev Paul, Vicar of Hoylake's 'Two Penn'orth for 27 July 2014



My Two Penn’orth this week is an extract from 
last Sunday’s sermon conducted from 
the centre of our Prayer Labyrinth.

T
his week has been quite special for us as a church family, the reason being that we held our Prayer Labyrinth. The labyrinth was really well received and many of you played your part, helping in so many different ways, and I thank you all wholeheartedly.
I would like to use a sentence out of the Labyrinth booklet. It says, “You are a disciple, you are a learner and you are learning from the master himself. Walk with him on your journey of discovery of Faith.”
We are learning from the master himself, It doesn’t get better than that.
For those of you who have walked our Prayer Labyrinth it can be a walk of real self-discovery, of letting go of those things that hinder us, and can help us draw closer to our Saviour.

O
n Thursday night I decided to walk it myself, I found it very powerful. When I arrived at the centre I instinctively was drawn to the candle, the light of Christ shining out powerfully in the darkness.
I decided to put my hand behind the flame and felt its heat gently warming my hand, and thought of how like Jesus that flame was, drawing us closer to him, so that we can be gently warmed by his love.
I was able to let go of some of things that have been playing on my mind and hand them over to Jesus and move forward.
We should never be afraid of opening ourselves up to new things, to revaluate our lives, and our relationship with God. As I have said in the booklet, quoting from John Lennon, “There are two basic motivating forces: fear and love. When we are afraid we pull back from life, when we are in love we open up to all life has to offer.” Our desire should be to move closer to the love of Jesus Christ.

I
f there was one feature in the lives of his disciples that Jesus could not resist, and did not resist, it was their overflowing love. Psalm 117: “Great is his love towards us”
We all carry baggage and it is all too easy to get used to carrying it around with us to the extent that we become so used to it we fail to actually see or feel it anymore. So what do we do?
May I suggest to everyone to be open with themselves, unload your burdens, find comfort in knowing who you are, and who you really are in God’s eyes. That way you can know that he loves you, and allow yourself to see God, as he sees you.

L
et me remind you that the bread which we break at Communion symbolises not just the broken body of Christ but also that we are sometimes broken as Christians.
The challenge I offer you is this: Can we truly open our hearts to the love that flows from Jesus and allow ourselves to move closer to our God and Father? And in so doing become more loving and compassionate people?
Jesus said, “A new commandment I give unto you that you love one another as I have loved you by this all will know that you are my disciples”

 
Your friend,
Rev’d Paul

27 July 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment