Sunday, April 14, 2013

Christian Aid Week 2013 Approaches!



A reflection on Christian Aid Week from our parish's 
Christian Aid Organizer, Sheila Waring:

May 12-18 will be Christian Aid week. I know there are many calls for our charitable giving: the media is daily pulling at our heartstrings, but this particular week is our special annual appeal.
St Hildeburgh’s did well last year, collecting just over £1,000, but personally, I am not a competitive animal. To me, the arrival of Christian Aid Week gives us the opportunity to get out into the community and show that we are Christians. Christ is the light of the world and we should reflect that light.
On returning from our winter away in Spain, Brian and I noticed an air of excitement and expectation in St Hildeburgh’s as the congregation has grown. I often think of two hymns having particular significance at this time of year: a line from the Christmas carol “What can I bring Him, poor as I am?” and “Whom shall I send…Here I am Lord”, for here we have the oppor­tunity to answer both, by volunteering to deliver and collect Christian Aid envelopes in that designated week.
Last year ALL the envelopes were delivered, but only because many people dealt with several streets, and that can be tiring. If many people took one set of envelopes, how easy the task would be.
I must admit you do meet the occasionally awkward situation. I recall three incidents, which bring a smile at the memory of last year. First, when I knocked, a dog threw itself, barking, at the door. I stepped back hastily, but the lady was most apologetic, scolding her pet and smiling as she handed over her gift.  Secondly, one gentleman told me that his wife had “thrown it into the bin with the rest of the rubbish”! I smiled, thanked him and said, ‘God bless’ and thirdly, a hefty young man, munching on enormous bacon butty, said he’d lost the envelope, but declined my offer of a replacement.  What can I say?
So “Come and join the cheerful throng” for here is that easy opportunity to show our community that Jesus is alive and well and living in Hoylake!  I’ll give any new volunteers help and advice on how to go about the task. It’s probably more enjoyable if you find someone willing to accompany you. Brian was a great help. It was my first time last year and I learned a lot. 


No comments:

Post a Comment